1/31/2011

So here it is..

I went into my neurologist on Friday to make sure my lesion was good and hadn't grown any family members. ;~) What I learned there really scared the shit out of me. Seriously, I saw my life pass before my eyes. I have been diagnosed with Arnold-Chiari Malformation. More information about it here.  http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/chiari/chiari.htm  Thank God for my friend Amanda who had mentioned it to me a few weeks back so I had already done some research on it. I have Type 1 and was told it was mild. My doctor was kind of nonchalant as he explained it to me. He said it was mild and wanted me to see a Neurosurgeon, but did not think I needed surgery. After all, it is not minor surgery they take (and here was when he used his hand for demonstration) a small part of the back of your skull off. You can imagine right there that my mind went completely blank and void of rational thought. I was able to maintain composure even chatting with a friend who works there, until I got in my car. I think I gave Andrew who was at work a heart attack when I told him in a blubbering way that my brain was slipping into my spinal column and I might need surgery to fix it.

Now can you see why I was terrified? All I kept thinking about were my kids. I have 4 kids who depend on me, there is no way I can have surgery. I mean, what if I die? Isn't it enough they have to deal with a mom who has constant headaches and losing their Grandmother not even 2 years ago? Now they are going to lose their mom. What about Andrew? How is he going to handle it?

So I had a pity fest for a bit, then got over it. I am still scared, but I not going to let this define who I am. It is just another thing that makes me, well me. I am grateful to finally have a diagnosis. Now I have an actual legitimate reason for these damn daily headaches and migraines. After doing research, I have discovered I have a lot of the other symptoms that I had never mentioned to a doctor because I just shrugged them off as no big deal.

As for surgery, I will leave that up to the surgeon. I see him in March and hopeful he can give me some more insight. Right now I am against it, but if it means surgery or paralysis, you can bet I will pick surgery. I will keep you updated. Thank you to those who have stuck by me. :) Oh and another thing, I have decided not to tell my dad about this until I have more information on it. He does not need to add this to the list of things to worry about.

7 comments:

Corey said...

I am so sorry for this diagnosis Holly. But it does explain a lot, doesn't it? Is there anything they can do to help you get some relief before you have to turn to surgery?
There is a clinic here that deals with it.. you could always get a second opinion if you do come here this summer.
I am here for you in any way you need!

Amanda said...

(((hugs))) You know I'm here for ya. It can be so scary finding something new out.... remember when I was diagnosed with PCOS? I thought I was dying. LOL Damn ovaries. ;-) I will do anything that I can to help you out. You're in my prayers Holly <3

Nikki said...

Well now you know what has been causing it all these years. Be positive there is nothing you cannot handle. If u need me for anything, call text stop by. I know your battle w migraine.

Lori said...

Interesting... So do you still have a lesion? What is that from? I like your sense of humor throughout :) Always best to take it all with a grain of salt, after all there is nothing we can do. However, do realize that this is a genetic malformation. Watch your children for any signs of Chiari. Oh, and one more word of advise, I am not sure if you have discovered this or not but massage therapy rocks!

Good luck and thanks for the baby dust!

Lori

Holly said...

Lori, I do still have the lesion. Right now it is just on watch. The Neurosurgeon told me if I start have problems with my vision that I will need to recheck it because it could be the beginning of MS.

Lori said...

Oh my gosh! That is so confusing to me... so do you have Chiari and possible MS? Or can the Chiari cause lesions? I have never heard of the two together.

Holly said...

I definitely have Chiari. The lesion can just be something I was born with. But it could be MS if I start to show symptoms..