1/12/2011

Let the dinner battle begin!

Okay, so I will admit I haven't been the best at making my kids eat their dinner. I didn't feel that it was worth fighting with them over eating a potato when they could just make themselves a peanut butter sandwich. I worry about setting too strict of limits about food on them at dinner. I had to eat everything on my plate or was made to sit at the table long after it was cleared and everyone went about their business. I was told to eat everything or I would be having it the next day for breakfast. Thanks to my mom, after my dad (the enforcer of said rule) would go to bed, she would toss out my meal. So I always teetered on the edge of how strict to be. Well guess what, the happy peanut butter days are over. LOL From now on they have to try everything I make or they get no dessert. I am not saying they have to eat and entire mound of beans, just a bite. Sounds simple, right? Hell no! Not when you have a four year old who only eats meat and potatoes. Every night since this new rule has been put into place our meals have been less than quiet or peaceful. Alex usually spends a good 15 minutes to 1/2 hour crying and whining about dinner while the other 2 either just suck it up and try it or don't and just accept they will not get dessert that night. I realize what a poor injustice we were doing to our children by not making them try something new. I keep telling them that you have to try something at least 10 times before you decide you don't like it. (I'm pretty sure I read that in a magazine somewhere along the road. ) So until they realize we are serious and will not be backing down, I don't foresee our dinners to be peaceful. It isn't as if I am feeding them crap on a stick either, I am a pretty good cook. I enjoy cooking, but it gets tiring when all you face is complaints day in and day out about what you have cooked. They can't understand why I don't want to feed them box mac & cheese, hot dogs, frozen nuggets, and chips everyday. Believe me I am in no way knocking these convenience foods, they get them, I just choose for my kids not to eat that every night if I can help it.  They will get it eventually and perhaps when are my age complaining to the world about how their Mother made them eat a green bean or maybe trying to get their kids to eat better.  ☺

1 comment:

Amanda said...

I think it is great that you have them try things. I was brought up the same way in that I was to at least try it before I said I didn't like it. I am grateful (now) that my parents did this... although I think at times my pallet (how the heck do you spell that?? LOL) is too wide. :-P I'll eat anything! Haha. Good luck Holly!