7/31/2011

Kind of sad conversation with Alexander yesterday.

I went to the fabric store (I know, big surprise.) yesterday with my babies as I like to think of as my two younger kids. ;~> On the way there my ever inquisitive child Alexander started talking about when he grows up. He stated that he was going to live in a big house with a big yard and a "cool" car, you know not a minivan like ours (giggle) and he was going to be rich because he was going to be a Policeman. I had to tell him that if he was only a Policeman, while it was a great thing to be he probably wouldn't be rich. He then asked a Fireman? nope, a Teacher? definitely not, An Army guy? not that either. He then asked a little frustrated at this point what he had to do to be rich. I told him that people in charge of big companies tend to be rich, or people who worked with computers or professional athletes. He asked if singers and actors were rich and I said some of them. Sigh It is sad that I have to tell my four year old that some of the MOST important jobs are ones that you will more than likely never be a rich man doing. :( It really breaks my heart that in this absolutely wonderful country we live in shows that it is more important to pay an athlete millions of dollars a year and yet a teacher barely enough to support a family.  My husband is a teacher and we struggle to make ends meet even though he has a second job. What is that saying to our children? So my smart little boy thought about it for a while and said, ok maybe I won't live in a big house, maybe a small house and I can still be a Policeman because someone still needs to get the bad guys. I just smiled and said that was a wonderful idea. Maybe by the time he is older we will start valuing the people who do these jobs more. Maybe not, either way I know my little boy will be happy in whatever job he has whether it is a garbage man or the President because we are raising our children to know that it isn't the amount of money you have that make you rich, but your family.  Nicholas definitely wants to be in the military and is delighted that his Uncle was in the Air Force. Allison has already made up her mind to be a teacher and I truly think she will be an outstanding one. Since she knows her dad is one and has to have a second job, she decided her second job will be a hairdresser so she can do that on the nights, weekends, and during the school vacations.  Lauren? Who knows what she will become. In the end it doesn't matter as long as they all get to live a long happy life.

2 comments:

Leah said...

Excellent points, it is sad that the most important jobs get paid the least. Your kids are going to do great things no matter what they choose because they have such great parents guiding them :)

Cate said...

You're right. That's is a sad conversation. Even sadder is that you're right :(