3/24/2012

I've been making my own soap!

My not so fancy laundry detergent holder. 
I had been tossing around the idea of making my own laundry detergent for a while now, but just never got around to it. Thankfully a friend made some and posted about it on her blog. After I made sure to wait for her opinion (hehe) I decided to give it a try. She found the recipe on this blog Laundry Soap. I made it about December 27th, it costs less than $20 and I just recently had to make more. It makes a ton and cleans great. I am not sure how many loads, but decided to track it this time. So far I have washed 23 loads since I made the batch last Saturday. I did not include the oxyclean this time because the store was out of it and I wasn't in the mood to go to another store. If they have it next time I go to the store, I will add it in. I keep it stored in a empty 25 lb cat littler. I also bought a mailer square container to keep it in on my shelf. I had great plans on making this container cute, but just haven't gotten around to it. Just a tip it you decide to make it, please do not inhale deeply over the ingredients as you pour them in. The dust it kicks up will burn the crap out of your sinuses. :)




So I was excited about making my own detergent, I decided to make my own liquid hand soap. Thanks to Pinterest I found this blog Hand Soap and off to the store I went. It was pretty simple to make and I loved the smell. Mine does have a sort of snot like consistency, but it works fine. I am going to try a different brand of bar soap next time. I made it February 13th, it filled an 8oz liquid hand soap container, a gallon milk jug and about halfway up a 12oz body wash bottle. I am now about half way through the soap. The cost was about $4-$5.
Grating away

The soap Allison picked  (I used 2 bars.)





Kind of snotty. 






So not only am I trying to save some money, I am also producing a bit less waste because I am recycling containers I already have. How knows what I might make next.... 

1 comment:

Jenn said...

Yay for laundry soap, and way to let ME be the guinea pig, haha! Good tip on the inhilation thing. I learned the hard way that it burns any little owies on your hands when you mix it. :-) Maybe I'll wear gloves next time??