2/28/2013

My family lost a special lady.

Last week my husband's Grandmother and my kids Great-Grandmother passed away, almost a month after a massive stroke. I remember her when I first met her 14 years ago, she was an energetic, nice, and very welcoming woman.  My own memories of a Grandmother involve nursing homes and her death. So to meet this amazing Grandma was a treat. She treated me as if I was one of her own and not just someone who married into the family. I got to make her a cake for her 80th birthday and I was so honored to be asked to do it. I remember at a different party she was asked if she wanted cake and before she would say yes or no, she asked who made it. As soon as she heard I had, she said she definitely wanted some and wouldn't have eaten it if I hadn't made it. It is the little things like that that only a Grandma can say or do that make you feel special. My kids loved having a Great Grandma and knew that they were extremely lucky to be blessed to have her. I know she loved seeing the kids, she always had a smile on her face while she watched them play. I tried to keep them quiet, but she made sure to let me know that they weren't bothering her. So on Saturday as we said our final good-byes to a woman who touched all of us, I couldn't help but remember how great she was. My kids will miss her but they think of her as another person hanging out with my Mom up in Heaven watching over all of us.

No comments: